Sprint Center Ranked Among 2008 World's Best Venues
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Jan. 14, 2009) – Sprint Center was named one of 2008’s top venues in the world by Pollstar magazine. The leading concert trade publication, which hits newsstands this week, ranked Sprint Center as No. 30 on the list of top worldwide concert venues. A closer look at the top worldwide concert venue rankings indicates that Sprint Center landed at No. 18 among U.S. concert venues – surpassing all other Midwest venues within 400 miles.
As part of the magazine’s popular year-end issue, Pollstar utilized its extensive database to collect box office reports from nearly 100 percent of the world’s top-level artists, promoters and venues during the 2008 calendar year. The result is a series of rankings, each highlighting Sprint Center and the world-class acts it brought to Kansas City last year, cementing the arena as one of the world’s hottest entertainment venues.
"We are delighted that Pollstar’s rankings confirmed what many knew to be true – Kansas City’s appetite for live entertainment rivals any city in the world," said Brenda Tinnen, AEG Kansas City/Sprint Center general manager and senior vice president. "2008 was certainly a year to remember with more than 1.4 million guests witnessing the best in entertainment during our inaugural year. We remain humble and grateful to guests, artists, managers and promoters for making Sprint Center a first-class destination for first-rate concerts."
According to Pollstar:
- Nine of the top 10 worldwide concert tours have visited (2008) or are scheduled to visit Sprint Center in 2009.
- Among the top 10 worldwide concert tours in 2008, Sprint Center hosted Celine Dion, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, The Police, Neil Diamond, The Eagles, Andre Rieu and Coldplay.
- Sprint Center hosted (2008) or will host (in 2009) an astonishing 17 of the top 20 North American tours.
- In addition to those high-demand shows, two sold out shows by both Bon Jovi and Tina Turner garnered Kansas City recognition on the 2008 Top Grossing Concert rankings.
- Celine Dion’s performance at Sprint Center on Jan. 3, 2009, was the arena’s highest grossing one-event concert to date.
The magazine further established Sprint Center as a force in the concert industry with two highly coveted nominations, placing it on an exclusive list among the world’s best venues.
Tinnen is a finalist for Pollstar’s Facility Executive of the Year. Sprint Center is a nominee for the magazine’s Arena of the Year. Winners will be announced at Pollstar’s 20th Annual Concert Industry Awards on Jan. 30 at Club Nokia in the new L.A. Live Entertainment District in Los Angeles, Calif.